Inclusive Innovations-2013 highlighted India's potential for inclusive Innovations especially in areas of Healthcare & Medicine, Agriculture, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Energy and Water. This two-day exclusive convention held on 10 & 11 December 2013 at Pune showcased some of the finest examples of 'innovations under constraints' from across India.
- 150+ Innovations of India showcased
- 50+ industrialists involved in determining the commercial sustainability of innovations
- 150,000 visitors, with more than 30,000 school children, engaged with India's best Innovators
- Release of first Deloitte Report in on 'Inclusive Indian Innovations - Perspectives & Case Studies
Top Rated innovations
Vesag Watch: A Wearable and Portable Vital Parameter Tracker
- A personal emergency response system (PERS) tracks round the clock and communicates health index parameters of patients, e.g. pulse, ECG, body weight, blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Accumulated data and wirelessly transmits to the web
- portal and a medical call center for monitoring.
- The unique differentiator of this innovation is that unlike bulky equipment, which restricts the patient to be in a specific area, this device is wearable and highly portable due to the use of GPS and GSM technologies.
- Impact: A lifesaving solution especially for geriatrics and known high risk patients who stay alone
ToucHB and Uchek: Mobile Assisted Biochemical Screening
- A hand-held needle-free battery operated device that enables screening for anemia and simplifies monitoring of treatment on a regular basis.
- The uChek uses the smartphone camera to read test strips, to accurately analyze results of urine or pin prick blood tests.
- The unique intellectual property of ToucHB is that it does not need a blood sample thus reducing chances of infection.
- uChek uses the smart-phone camera and processing to determine the results much more accurately than manual interpretation and without the need for much costlier automated readers.
- Impact: To identify and treat medical conditions in a timely manner and prevent serious health events.
Breathing Sensor Apparatus
- A user Interface that converts breath intensity into commands. With training, it can allow a completely blind, deaf and dumb disabled person to control various machines like wheelchairs and do a lot of work through them as a normal human being.
- The concept and implementation of breath intensity to commands is an unparalleled innovation.
- Impact A great boon to provide mobility and control to people who are blind, dumb as well as deaf and were earlier totally dependent on attendants.
3Nethra: Ophthalmology Pre-screener
- 3nethra an intelligent pre screening Ophthalmology device for automated identification of eye problems such as cataract, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and cornea problems, and refractive errors.
- An automated pre-screening report, combined with telemedicine helps scale the reach of hospitals and doctors to far flung rural areas. This equipment is highly portable and at a much lower cost than alternative equipment.
- This product uses a unique IP to avoid dilatation prior to screening. Therefore 3Nethra can be operated after training by semi-skilled operators or volunteers, and the time for testing and recovery, and inconvenience to the patient is significantly reduced.
- Impact: A vital equipment in India's war against needless blindness, by scaling the hospitals and NGOs ability to identify and treat eye problems in time.
Sting Ring: A Self-protection Aid for Women
- A self-defense device as a Jewelry Ring, but consisting of a micro needle, micro pump, and a micro-tank containing Capsaicin. Capsaicin is a very potent chemical that stimulates chemoreceptor nerve endings in the skin, creating a strong burning sensation.
- In any untoward incident such as molestation or assault, the user has to activate the device and use the needle to provide a painful injection of Capsaicin to the assaulter. A smart RFID tag is included to ensure that only the designated user can operate the device. This is helpful in preventing misuse of the device.
- As against the conventional pepper sprays which are difficult to carry around at all times, the unique intellectual property of this device is the design of the extremely compact yet effective deterrent chemical and its wearable form factor. Although the capsaicin is only 0.2 ml it can provide a very painful and disabling jab to up to 5 times.
- Impact: With rising incidents of crimes against women, this is a much needed innovation to enable a woman to protect herself.
Mitticool: Electricity-less Refrigerator
- A grass-root innovation of an alternative method of cooling that does not require electricity.
- The inventor has used the principle of evaporative cooling commonly used in 'matka's to design a clay refrigerator with two chambers, one for storing and cooling water, which also serves to cool the lower chamber where shelves are used to store vegetables, fruits and milk etc. The achieved temperature reduction is good enough to extend the life and freshness of the stored products.
- Impact: For solving the problem of food and milk spoilage, it's a very good alternative to conventional refrigerators for areas with unreliable electricity supply and for people who initial running and maintenance cost.
Enable Talk Gloves
- Talking gloves are invented with an intention to convert hand gestures into speech.
- The inventor's IP is the development of a device that recognizes the user's hand gestures and outputs an electronically generated voice. These gloves have the capability to convert more than 1000 words.
- Impact: A wonderful aid for the speech impaired to communicate and interact with the world.
Pine Needle Gasifier to Generate Electricity
In the Himalayan region, pine needles cover the ground which create many problems, as they prevent water from percolating, depleting the water table, and since they are inflammable, cause forest fires, which are all serious environmental threats.
- A pine needle based gasifier generator can scale to produce 9 kW, out of which 7.5 kW can be used for domestic purposes.
- A differentiating intellectual property of this product is the design of the gasifier to effectively extract the maximum calorific value from pine needles.
- Impact: A breakthrough for the sub-Himalayan region that solves a major environmental hazard and provides renewable power and a significant income generator for underprivileged populations.
Solar Conduction Dryer
- Dehydrating fruits and vegetables can increase their shelf life to almost a year but most conventional methods use non¬renewable energy.
- This innovation's intellectual property involves a complex process through which heat from solar energy is transferred to dehydrate the produce.
- Impact: A much needed innovation to prevent losses in agriculture due to spoiling of produce.
Solar Powered Crop Harvester
- A solar powered harvester can reap paddy and wheat among other crops and can collect food grains without damaging the same.
- The innovators unique design is the use of direct drives with individual electric motors for the cutter, feeders, conveyer belt, trashing unit and the hydraulic lift which significantly improves efficiency over the conventional machines.
- Impact: An invaluable aid to farmers to reduce the labor needed in harvesting while cutting down the usage of fossil fuels in conventional harvesters.